Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   First rogue past level 10 I think (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9027)

Petoften August 12, 2018 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 132757)
Ranger will never use the crossbow, either. He gets no extra shot, so an x3 bow is strictly better than an x3 crossbow. An endgame Ranger will always, always use a bow--Bard or an x5 Lothlorien longbow if he can get it.

Good to know. Why is that (this crossbow is (15,10) which is pretty nice?) It lets me free a spot if I don't need it.

Petoften August 12, 2018 14:32

The rod of detection versus two rods of treasure finding has come up again - but this time I have telepathy, changing the tradeoffs.

I'm not sure the detection has any advantage over treasure detection now other than non-sentient creatures showing up.

Monkey Face August 12, 2018 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132762)
Good to know. Why is that (this crossbow is (15,10) which is pretty nice?) It lets me free a spot if I don't need it.

Rangers get extra shots using a bow that they don't get using a sling or crossbow. I believe it is one extra shot per turn at level 20 and 2 extra shots at level 40.

wobbly August 12, 2018 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132763)
The rod of detection versus two rods of treasure finding has come up again - but this time I have telepathy, changing the tradeoffs.

I'm not sure the detection has any advantage over treasure detection now other than non-sentient creatures showing up.

Qs and golems wont show to telelathy. Don't you have an object detecting spell? You'll want detection for when you find a second. I'm on dlvl 99 with telepathy & still using detection a lot.

Pete Mack August 12, 2018 15:15

Detrct treasure is fine for you. You already have the other detection spells. That said, it may be worth storing the detection rods until you have enough, since the activation is so much better, and it saves mana and time. They also cant be broken by lightning.

That said, what you really want is clairvoyance on your light source.

Petoften August 12, 2018 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Face (Post 132764)
Rangers get extra shots using a bow that they don't get using a sling or crossbow. I believe it is one extra shot per turn at level 20 and 2 extra shots at level 40.

Another thing I'd like the game to inform players of better. Thanks.

mrfy August 12, 2018 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132768)
Another thing I'd like the game to inform players of better. Thanks.

It already lists the number of shots per round in the character information screen.

Petoften August 12, 2018 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfy (Post 132770)
It already lists the number of shots per round in the character information screen.

Right, but if you don't know to look for 'extra shot at this level' or with a bow, you probably aren't going to notice or plan for it.

Petoften August 12, 2018 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 132766)
Detrct treasure is fine for you. You already have the other detection spells. That said, it may be worth storing the detection rods until you have enough, since the activation is so much better, and it saves mana and time. They also cant be broken by lightning.

That said, what you really want is clairvoyance on your light source.

Wait, I don't use spells - just the treasure detection rod and telepathy.

What is clairvoyance and how do you get it on a light source?

Do you mean upgrading from the Galadriel?

That's the best I've seen.

mrfy August 12, 2018 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petoften (Post 132773)
Right, but if you don't know to look for 'extra shot at this level' or with a bow, you probably aren't going to notice or plan for it.

So it should tell you when you hit level 20 and 40 that you get an extra shot? Would that be enough? It does state when you create the character that a ranger "Gains extra shots with bow".