Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Development (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Future of Angband development (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=5110)

Jungle_Boy December 27, 2011 23:15

In this hypothetical one chance to detect a trap world what happens when wormtongue casts create traps and your searching is poor enough that you cannot see them? You just have to walk on one and hope it isn't a nasty one?

Nick December 27, 2011 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy (Post 65460)
In this hypothetical one chance to detect a trap world what happens when wormtongue casts create traps and your searching is poor enough that you cannot see them? You just have to walk on one and hope it isn't a nasty one?

A simple answer would be that any trap created in the player's LOS is visible.

will_asher December 28, 2011 05:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derakon (Post 65453)
Making monsters be affected by traps was pretty easy about 12-15 years ago when I implemented it on a lark. You do need to remember to make them immune to vault traps though, to avoid excessive silliness. But that's also easy. The main thing is deciding how much damage the monster should take from the trap, since player and monster HP scales are so different. And of course, monsters don't have STR or DEX to drain via dart traps, nor are they bothered by summoning traps.

When I was thinking about implementing this in DaJAngband, I was thinking the really tough thing about making monsters affected by traps is how to keep track of whether the trap was set by the PC, by monsters, or already there. Obviously, a monster shouldn't be affected by a trap that it created.
IMHO, I don't think there's much point in having monsters affected by traps if there's no way for the PC to set traps. (Except maybe for that scenario of a frightened monster running onto a teleport trap, but I don't like the idea of monsters using summoning traps. There's already too much summoning in the game, I don't want to give monsters with no summoning spells a way to summon.)

Mikko Lehtinen December 28, 2011 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 65461)
A simple answer would be that any trap created in the player's LOS is visible.

Yep, that's what I'm doing in Fay 1.2, too: traps created by Create Traps are visible.

buzzkill December 28, 2011 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by will_asher (Post 65464)
IMHO, I don't think there's much point in having monsters affected by traps if there's no way for the PC to set traps. (Except maybe for that scenario of a frightened monster running onto a teleport trap, but I don't like the idea of monsters using summoning traps. There's already too much summoning in the game, I don't want to give monsters with no summoning spells a way to summon.)

Brogue uses traps well. The traps are probably as dangerous as the monsters. There's a lot of traps and they are effective since detection is scarce. Monsters can trigger traps which are more often than not (maybe always) area of effect, clouds, explosions, etc. so even it's it a monster that trips it, the player it likely to be affected by it. It quite exciting to have your pet ogre set off a paralysis gas trap that engulfs you and a few enemies and then waiting to see who regains mobility first.

Malak Darkhunter December 28, 2011 17:07

Quickband seems to me to have a good trap system, after playing the latest competition I found traps that shoot bolts at you, somethings that explode on you making death by traps very possible.