Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   FAangband 2.0beta (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=10172)

Nick July 31, 2020 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147424)
RFE: would be very nice to have Exo's patch for producing CharOutput.txt. It's mostly for angband.live, but I think the Frog patch has helped me a couple times offline too.

What is this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 147521)
Inventory bug that's probably in vanilla too. I refueled from a stack of 2 lanterns with a full pack and my long bow dropped out of my pack.

I don't think this is a bug. You can only refuel from one lantern at a time, so doing that unstacks the lanterns, so your inventory is full, which drops the last item.

Issues page now fully updated, I believe.

wobbly July 31, 2020 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 147534)
I don't think this is a bug. You can only refuel from one lantern at a time, so doing that unstacks the lanterns, so your inventory is full, which drops the last item.

I disagree. It makes sense for the now empty lantern to drop. I think that is far more intuitive then random item you didn't touch falling out. I certainly expected the empty lantern to drop. I suspect it is what most people would expect too. It is also how things behaved when devices used to unstack. The device droped out, not your healing potions or your scrolls of destruct.

kheldar July 31, 2020 11:45

1 Attachment(s)
I have discovered a problem with stairs to other map sections. I have a town that should have 3 exits, east, west and north. The north exit is nowhere to be found. I have explored every cell and removed all the rubble along the north of the map.

Sideways July 31, 2020 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 147534)
What is this?

Exo's patch (originally written by a user called Exo) is the code for automatically producing output like this every time the game is saved and/or the player's details otherwise change (e.g. they move to a new area - though I think that triggers auto-save in FAA). This is what allows angband.live to show the player's race, class, level and current location and display a red death message when they die.

Gwarl is claiming FAA does not actually need Exo's patch since it has V-like savefiles, which in this particular respect are more "readable" than most variant savefiles - but there are some big disadvantages with that approach. Firstly, V doesn't need to include any information about the location besides the depth, and consequently FAA savefiles don't display the full location in plaintext either; but CharOutput would. Secondly, it requires Gwarl to actively do things, and apparently to do them again every time there's a new release - at least one of the recent V releases (4.2.0 or 4.2.1 or maybe both) was missing this information for weeks despite having fully V-like savefiles. Thirdly, including Exo's patch in the game itself allows updating CharOutput more often than the savefile if desirable. Fourthly, Gwarl's approach does not actually include producing a CharOutput.txt, but it's a nice file to have; on angband.live players' CharOutput files are publicly accessible but their savefiles are not, so the CharOutput files allow you to check how other players are doing even if they're not currently online (this would be even more convenient in V, since V does not support checking users' progress through the Hall of Fame).

I think I found some use for them offline too debugging something or other, but I forget what that was - maybe I was just debugging CharOutput itself... or it might have been related to possessor code or to discrepancies in what monsters were displayed as having killed the player.

The Frog version of Exo's patch (updated by me) is here (it gets called from the save routine and separately on game start), you should be able to adapt it easily or to write new code with the same formatting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 147536)
I disagree. It makes sense for the now empty lantern to drop. I think that is far more intuitive then random item you didn't touch falling out. I certainly expected the empty lantern to drop. I suspect it is what most people would expect too. It is also how things behaved when devices used to unstack. The device droped out, not your healing potions or your scrolls of destruct.

Agree with wobbly, this is most definitely a bug. There is no way any item but the empty lantern should drop.

Nick July 31, 2020 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by kheldar (Post 147537)
I have discovered a problem with stairs to other map sections. I have a town that should have 3 exits, east, west and north. The north exit is nowhere to be found. I have explored every cell and removed all the rubble along the north of the map.

That's a "fixed" bug. Reopening.

EDIT: Actually unfixed bug, still not fixed.

dhouseholder July 31, 2020 16:20

grammar in necro spell
 
Vampire Strike in Necro 3 always gives the message "You bite the ...", even for uniques.

I got the message "You bite the The Thief of the Mountains."

Holy_Rage July 31, 2020 18:48

1 Attachment(s)
A thanc-ful vault in Nargothrond 43 must have broken the record for the cumulative appearance of thancs, by having 2 Narthancs and 3 Dethancs appear in the same vault.

Clearly, a thancsgiving bug! (copyright: vertigo - Angband.Live) :)

EugeneLesnov July 31, 2020 22:04

Just tried to compile & launch the game.
Adan Paladin, first location (West Beleriand). Found the wand of Dragon's Breath + energy hounds pack.

Aim the wand and..
Welcome to level 13.

Do not fix this :-)

Nick July 31, 2020 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy_Rage (Post 147543)
A thanc-ful vault in Nargothrond 43 must have broken the record for the cumulative appearance of thancs, by having 2 Narthancs and 3 Dethancs appear in the same vault.

Clearly, a thancsgiving bug! (copyright: vertigo - Angband.Live) :)

Thancs for reporting

MITZE August 1, 2020 00:13

Report Batch #14
 
Spellbooks: The [I]nspection text for spellbooks should probably tell you who can actually use them; since the hybrid classes can only use two or three books out of five, the only way for the player to know if it's a useful book for them or not is by either reading the code, or by actually having the book in their inventory. Is that dungeon book in the black market one that I can make use of? Who knows.


Inscriptions: It'd be a convenient thing if there were some way to just wipe all the auto-inscriptions clean (those that you determine via the object menu) at once; it's something I'd probably use at the start of a new game, for instance.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:09.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.