Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Scrolls of Acquirement (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=6652)

tynan March 23, 2014 20:57

Scrolls of Acquirement

Hello all. I recently found one of these scrolls in a greater vault (the cool one with the 2 entrances to permanent rock that meet in the center). I'm in the town now and see one for 15k in black market. Playing V 3.5.0
Question: does it matter where you read these to get the best items? Thanks.

Monkey Face March 23, 2014 21:10

Read it in the dungeon, not in town. It will give you a good or great item based on the dungeon level where you read it. (The item will appear under you or next to you if there is already something under you.) However, it's best not to wait too long, lest you run into a fire breather and see it burn up.

Also, are you sure it wasn't 150k it was selling for?

tynan March 23, 2014 21:26

It was a regular Acquirement scroll, without asterisks (*). Also, I have the selling to vendors feature turned back on. I never liked the idea of not being able to sell stuff in this version.
Thanks, I think I'll just keep them in my home until I get close to end game (DL 80+) before I carry them with me to the Dungeon, to minimize risk of loss.

Thraalbee March 23, 2014 21:37

The scroll is not much better than the drop of some monsters at the deeper levels so I tend to read them as soon as I hit the next 10 in dlevel, i.e. 30 or 40 or ..., usually I end up disappointed anyway. But make sure your inventory is not full, that seems to make it fail.

debo March 23, 2014 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by tynan (Post 90872)
It was a regular Acquirement scroll, without asterisks (*). Also, I have the selling to vendors feature turned back on. I never liked the idea of not being able to sell stuff in this version.
Thanks, I think I'll just keep them in my home until I get close to end game (DL 80+) before I carry them with me to the Dungeon, to minimize risk of loss.

In my experience it's best to just use these after recalling to your current DL. By lategame, I think it's pretty rare to get anything worth anything from acquirement.

Derakon March 24, 2014 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thraalbeast (Post 90874)
The scroll is not much better than the drop of some monsters at the deeper levels so I tend to read them as soon as I hit the next 10 in dlevel, i.e. 30 or 40 or ..., usually I end up disappointed anyway. But make sure your inventory is not full, that seems to make it fail.

The item always appears on the ground, never in your inventory. Just don't read it when there's monsters around.

And yeah, read it as soon as possible. Practically speaking, the odds that you'll get something useful are higher in the early game, when you have less good equipment in general. In the late game there'll be ego items coming out your ears anyway, so Acquirement won't be likely to generate anything special.

Timo Pietilš March 24, 2014 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by debo (Post 90876)
In my experience it's best to just use these after recalling to your current DL. By lategame, I think it's pretty rare to get anything worth anything from acquirement.

Unless I have just started the game I would wait until I'm at dlvl 1000' (20) or deeper. At that depth a lot of artifacts come in depth and don't have to pass OoD check. Maybe even take a crash-dive to 1000' if I'm close and then back up if I'm not fit to survive that deep.

If it is *really* early I would read it immediately. Even a low-level ego shooter can make huge difference in early survival.

Fendell Orcbane March 24, 2014 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš (Post 90891)
Unless I have just started the game I would wait until I'm at dlvl 1000' (20) or deeper. At that depth a lot of artifacts come in depth and don't have to pass OoD check. Maybe even take a crash-dive to 1000' if I'm close and then back up if I'm not fit to survive that deep.

If it is *really* early I would read it immediately. Even a low-level ego shooter can make huge difference in early survival.

This is probably great advice...because in the early game even a decent ego weapon can be of great help...But I tend tend to read them as soon as I get them...nothing worst than to have a five vortex hit you and have the scroll burn up...

Ingwe Ingweron April 3, 2014 03:23

Maybe it's my imagination, but in my experience it seems like the specific location that Acquirement or *Acquirement* scrolls are read does make a difference. Not just in a vault, but a specific spot in the vault. For example, when you are lucky enough to find a great item (like a Ring of Power) in a vault, reading the Acquirement scroll on that specific spot seems to generate better results than any other random spot in the same vault. Am I just imagining this?

Derakon April 3, 2014 04:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron (Post 91117)
Am I just imagining this?

Yes, you are. :) The only place where Acquirement's code references the dungeon tile is when placing the item.