Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Variants (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   [Announce] FrogComposband 7.1.salmiak released (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=10152)

Sideways July 13, 2020 03:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by invisibletroll (Post 147041)
Compiling and playing with SDL enabled on Ubuntu 20.04 has lots of issues.


First of all, GCC 9.3.0 gives lots of warnings.

Disabling SDL mixer will result in compilation error.

./autogen.sh && ./configure --enable-sdl --disable-sdl-mixer && make
src/main-sdl.c:3165: undefined reference to `play_sound'

Compiles fine with SDL mixer, but...
Tile graphics doesn't seem to work at all and 32x32 refers to David Gervais tiles. (Do sounds work?)

Can't find file lib/xtra/graf/32x32.png - graphics mode '32x32' will be disabled.

Then change the font size with mouse many times in a row.
This should lead to crash with various messages.

Thanks for reporting, and welcome to oook!

Not sure how well I can fix this stuff without a similar system to test on (and tile-related problems in general are not a top priority unless they also interfere with ASCII play), but I'll try to fix the compile error and the nonexistent reference to David Gervais' tiles at least.

Sideways July 13, 2020 03:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostock (Post 147057)
The new option to show energy used is cool.

Why is the energy-used display sometimes orange though?

It turns orange if the last action consumed more than 100 energy (or more than 13,200 energy for players on the overworld map).

invisibletroll July 13, 2020 05:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147068)
Thanks for reporting, and welcome to oook!

Not sure how well I can fix this stuff without a similar system to test on (and tile-related problems in general are not a top priority unless they also interfere with ASCII play), but I'll try to fix the compile error and the nonexistent reference to David Gervais' tiles at least.

Thanks for answering. You have disabled issues on GitHub so I thought it's better to disturb you here. sulkasormi gives an impression that you are from Finland. :rolleyes:

I understand the tile issue. Tiles won't exist for everything so why bother displaying only part of them? Same goes with sounds. If there's no sounds, why disabling the mixer should break compilation? Just ditch the unused code. :)

Using SDL interface doesn't necessarily add anything to the gameplay. Someone with debugging skills could check out what causes the crash.

chem July 18, 2020 02:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147068)
Thanks for reporting, and welcome to oook!

Not sure how well I can fix this stuff without a similar system to test on (and tile-related problems in general are not a top priority unless they also interfere with ASCII play), but I'll try to fix the compile error and the nonexistent reference to David Gervais' tiles at least.

it's pretty easy to spin up a linux virtual install in windows these days. vmware player, virtualbox, windows subsystem for linux, etc.

fixing all the gcc warnings may be a bit more of a pain

Firons2 July 18, 2020 12:00

Necromancy
 
What is the percentage reduction of EXP gain for pet kills? Is it possible to play using only pets? I seem to be gaining very little to none EXP both from my necromancy rat summons and animated corpses. Thanks.

Sideways July 18, 2020 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firons2 (Post 147212)
What is the percentage reduction of EXP gain for pet kills? Is it possible to play using only pets? I seem to be gaining very little to none EXP both from my necromancy rat summons and animated corpses. Thanks.

You get 20% of the XP and the pet gets the remaining 80%, except on Quylthulgs (both you and the pet get the full XP) and Rings (same as Quylthulgs in the special case of the ringbearer). Note that what you get is 20% of the XP that would otherwise go to the pet; that might be higher or lower than 20% of the XP you'd get for scoring the kill yourself, since monster XP calculations are not quite identical with player calculations, and the monster's level likely does not equal your level. There are also some additional tweaks for the faster game speeds.

It might be technically possible to win using only pets - people have done stranger things with the game... - but I would not recommend it except on a Quylthulg.

budswell July 18, 2020 15:50

Ive also noticed that pets cannot kill most uniques.
Its why I think chaos+trump is a good mix for a mage. Pets do all the work, and you can just lob a "Fist of Force" over the top once uniques are down to their last HP.

Firons2 July 18, 2020 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 147214)
You get 20% of the XP and the pet gets the remaining 80%, except on Quylthulgs (both you and the pet get the full XP) and Rings (same as Quylthulgs in the special case of the ringbearer). Note that what you get is 20% of the XP that would otherwise go to the pet; that might be higher or lower than 20% of the XP you'd get for scoring the kill yourself, since monster XP calculations are not quite identical with player calculations, and the monster's level likely does not equal your level. There are also some additional tweaks for the faster game speeds.

It might be technically possible to win using only pets - people have done stranger things with the game... - but I would not recommend it except on a Quylthulg.

Thanks for the quick reply. Another question - are rods a straight upgrade to staves because of their weight, even when taking the increased charges into account?

Sideways July 18, 2020 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firons2 (Post 147222)
Thanks for the quick reply. Another question - are rods a straight upgrade to staves because of their weight, even when taking the increased charges into account?

There are not very many rods with effects similar to a staff, so a direct comparison is seldom necessary.

When the comparison does happen (e.g. with Illumination or Enlightenment, or Staff of Speed vs. Rod of Heroic Speed) the rod does usually win, but not because of the weight. The biggest selling points of a rod compared to a staff (or wand) are that it cannot be destroyed, only stolen, and that it recharges much faster. That the rod wins is not a given, though - sometimes a staff is better, either because you anticipate having to use it many times in quick succession or because it has so many more charges as to outweigh the faster recharging on the rod. The staff might also have lower fail rates, since many of the best rod effects are very high-level and difficult to use - characters with so-so device skill often find Rods of Angelic Healing too unreliable for combat and prefer to carry Staves of Healing.

The FAQ has a more detailed comparison which also covers potions, scrolls and wands.

HugoVirtuoso July 18, 2020 18:29

Cannot be destroyed...by chaos? Lightning?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:26.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.