Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Sil (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   sil-q 1.4.3-beta (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9814)

ster March 23, 2020 08:08

Poison hits red S (most common and most annoying), dragons and balrogs. Fire hits undead and maybe some spiders? It's pretty obvious that poison is the stronger of the two at least by the end.

MicroChasm March 24, 2020 00:33

I've really been enjoying working on the new tiles. My goal is to make a tileset that is readable and informative.

I'm planning to post screenshots on the forum to get feedback sometime soon. I am very much open to critique.

I understand that plenty of people prefer ASCII as well, which I totally understand. I actually think Sil looks very good in the ASCII mode. I'm hoping that having a tileset will appeal to at least some of the existing community, and will also lower the barrier to entry for new players.

Quirk March 24, 2020 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by seraph (Post 143811)
is a poison version of udun really that much better than udun itself?

Poison doesn't restrict critical hits - which is necessary, as daggers really can't afford to lose them. Poison is the second strongest of the brands, and extending it as an ego to curved swords would make poison curved swords more or less the strongest ego weapons.

Udun provides an ego that is balanced for weapons with slightly larger damage sides and allows the flaming swords balrogs use in canon. Poison swords are not canon to the best of my knowledge. Poison spears are, but severe balance issues exist there.

seraph March 27, 2020 02:41

huh, i could have sworn that some orcs used poison swords. now i can't find anything to about it. weird ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

wobbly March 27, 2020 04:14

The orcs poisioning their blades is mentioned when Sam is injured.

Quirk March 27, 2020 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbly (Post 143953)
The orcs poisioning their blades is mentioned when Sam is injured.

I stand corrected then. Still, balance issues remain.

seraph March 28, 2020 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quirk (Post 143841)
Poison doesn't restrict critical hits - which is necessary, as daggers really can't afford to lose them. Poison is the second strongest of the brands, and extending it as an ego to curved swords would make poison curved swords more or less the strongest ego weapons.

what if there was a separate ego for poisoned daggers (which allows crits) and poisoned curved swords (which does not allow crits)? based on a cursory glance at anydice, this ends up being worse than a nargothrond bastard sword (one handed) against balrogs. shouldn't be too game breaking.

Quirk March 30, 2020 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by seraph (Post 143990)
what if there was a separate ego for poisoned daggers (which allows crits) and poisoned curved swords (which does not allow crits)? based on a cursory glance at anydice, this ends up being worse than a nargothrond bastard sword (one handed) against balrogs. shouldn't be too game breaking.

The flame brand version (Udun) is already filling this space, and the two would be too similar IMO.

I am considering introducing a consumable that allows application of short duration extra poison damage on a weapon, but I'm not sure if I'll do it yet.

wobbly March 30, 2020 23:02

I think poison daggers are 1 of the few good early stabbing weapons for 0 str if you find it in 1d6, & a poison curved sword is basically better then any 2 hander, as you can use it with a shield. It's probably fine just left as a dagger, arrow, spear of Melkor or smithing thing. Poison on a weapon is better then anything short of cold or elec.

seraph April 2, 2020 04:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quirk (Post 144024)
The flame brand version (Udun) is already filling this space, and the two would be too similar IMO.

I am considering introducing a consumable that allows application of short duration extra poison damage on a weapon, but I'm not sure if I'll do it yet.

alright, that's fair. i think the consumable would be neat.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:37.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.