Angband Forums

Angband Forums (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/index.php)
-   Vanilla (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Phail of Galadriel frequency (http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=3688)

diggerB September 20, 2010 07:05

Phail of Galadriel frequency

In the majority of the Angband games I've played, I have discovered the Phial of Galadrial early on in the game. I have progressed significantly further than I usually do before encountering this item, and I'm getting tired of using up a slot on Oil Flasks.

I've read somewhere that it starts appearing at DL 5. Would it improve my chances of acquiring this artifact if I were to scum around level 5 for a while rather than DL15 where I'm hovering around now?

Pete Mack September 20, 2010 07:15

Don't bother going back to dl 5, and probably don't bother carrying oil. The lantern is good for 15,000 turns, which is more than enough time to refill it on trips back to town.

Derakon September 20, 2010 07:26

Agreed with Pete -- just make sure your lantern is full before entering the dungeon and you'll be fine. The only time not having the Phial makes me waste an inventory slot is if I'm carrying around a Rod of Illumination as a warrior.

As for whether or not you'd be better off scumming dlvl5 for it vs. a different dungeon level, probably not. You get more items dropped overall, and items of generally higher quality, as you descend into the dungeon. It'll turn up eventually.

fizzix September 20, 2010 15:03

That being said flasks of oil are often my best sources of damage until I pick up a good weapon. I usually use them through dlevel 10 or so. Or even later if I don't have a ranged weapon yet.

Tiburon Silverflame September 20, 2010 18:34

You can also:

--find oil in the dungeon. Keep it til you're running out if inventory slots, then top off your lantern. Or top it off as you go along.

--find an everburning lantern.

--worst case, you get several warnings as your fuel runs down, so just recall back at that point.

Timo Pietilš September 20, 2010 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame (Post 40268)
--find an everburning lantern.

This exactly same question is in r.g.r.angband and he mentions there that he is playing 3.0.6. That one doesn't have everburning lanterns.

Derakon September 20, 2010 19:28

In that case, I think he also only gets a radius-2 light from the lantern, which sucks. Upgrade to 3.1.2v2!

diggerB September 22, 2010 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš (Post 40269)
This exactly same question is in r.g.r.angband and he mentions there that he is playing 3.0.6. That one doesn't have everburning lanterns.

Does that constitute offensive cross-posting? If so, I apologize.

Thanks for the helpful info, folks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mack (Post 40250)
Don't bother going back to dl 5, and probably don't bother carrying oil. The lantern is good for 15,000 turns, which is more than enough time to refill it on trips back to town.

I'm a CL26 Ranger, just got my ID spell - so I'm spending a lot of time resting up for ID... one full lamp isn't enough to completely scour a "good" level.

Zyphyr September 22, 2010 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggerB (Post 40301)
I'm a CL26 Ranger, just got my ID spell - so I'm spending a lot of time resting up for ID... one full lamp isn't enough to completely scour a "good" level.

Go into a lit room, remove your lamp, do your rest/ID cycle there, put the light back on and resume your delving.

Derakon September 22, 2010 00:48

Or just cast light wherever you're standing. :) Or, heck, carry consumable ID with you. Money isn't all that dear, and you can spare an inventory slot for scrolls or staves.