View Single Post
Old August 3, 2017, 22:20   #26
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
ok while that's indisputable, you can't just read a scroll of Take Me Down To Dungeon Level 99 and expect to win because "it's only one level i have to take care of".

running through the dungeon gives you the various tools you need to win the game - experience, stats, consumables, and equipment. the more of these you have, the more likely you are to win and, more importantly, to not die.

in addition, the game has a set of gates which you cannot pass without some specific gear, be it invisible monsters, stat/xp drain, speed, passwall, confusion, and simple damage output.
The only "gates" that MUST be passed are killing Sauron, then Morgoth.

If it's not forced descent, my typical @ spends a bit of time at levels 1-3, identifying the common consumables and ignoring most of the useless items; trying to get Free Action (usually a level feeling of 4), and, if lucky, a 'Thanc dagger (usually a level feeling of 6 at those shallow depths). If those are covered, then @ dives, using ?Deep Descent and every down stair until stat-gain territory (DL30+). Slowly working down, @ tries to find stat-gain potions and carefully selects monsters to kill for experience. Once stats seem sufficiently high, @ again dives as close to DL98 as possible. Careful play at DL97-98 nets quick experience and fantastic gear improvements. Once ready, @ tries to kill Sauron and then Morgoth in quick succession.

Not nearly as fast as some, but still pretty fast. The philosophy I discussed at length at http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?p=107826
I like that post so much, I think it should be a "sticky" post.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote