View Single Post
Old September 4, 2007, 21:09   #9
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Edit: FIXED: Goldberry's gifts are still open to newbies, as is Tom's house.

(and his potions and scrolls still get unIDed and all locations are 'near', etc., etc., as in my report elsewhere). A new one: starting priests gets a +0 amulet of charisma --- it can be somewhat hacked, I remember I did it for ringbearers...

I'm thinking about your multiple religions preparations...

Not that I am a purist, but I wonder, do you know any priests in Middle Earth? Anything close? I guess Numenorean kings, the good and the bad ones, I guess lots of evil men, if you want evil religion, anything else? I seem to remember Silmarillion and other unfinished tales have more magic and more religion in them. In LOTR and Hobbit it is all but absent. Frodo calls Varda, anyting else? I've heard something about a dwarven (secret?) religion, or was it Silmarillion?

I guess the angels (gods) were much easier accessible to the people in Middle Earth. Just over the Sea and often visible, so this may be why there was less rituals and more cooperation (or at least the memory of cooperation). They were better known so it was obvious they cannot be bribed on one hand and do not persecute for lack of worship, on the other hand.

It was obvious they are not The One, so they were not worshiped as autonomous God/Gods, but as servants of The One. It was useless to try to get their help in opposing the justice/song/fate of The One. They didn't try to be self-sufficient, so a worship of one Vala exclusively would be foolish, because every Vala was weak in very many vital areas and strong only in his chosen ones. The One has not shown his face to the people back then, nor revealed himself in any other way than through world and Valar (though some say he was Tom Bombadil, etc., or that he was yet to come to Middle Earth). So it was quite hard, abstract and impersonal to worhip The One (but there are the Numenoreans, I wonder why them of all).

Hmm...

Last edited by Bandobras; September 6, 2007 at 22:59.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote