View Single Post
Old April 13, 2012, 12:18   #7
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Personally I think they could easily have a x2 brand in V as it is now. By the time you find the Glaive of Pain, most of your tough opponents are immune to most base elements, so the potential for abuse is not quite as high as some of the more hysterical critics of off-weapon brands would have you believe.
Glaive of Pain is not the ultimate weapon with brand, MoD of Extra Attacks +2 is. Acid-brand makes it effective against these high-level monsters (starting from deepest):

Sauron
Gothmog
Vecna
Carcharoth
Lungorthin
Tarrasque
Cantoras
Draugluin
Maeglin
Witch-King
Greater Balrog
Qlzqqlzuup
Great Wyrm of Balance
Pit Fiend
Feagwath
Master quylthulg
Great Wyrm of Law
Great Wyrm of Chaos
Black reaver
Nightwalker
Greater rotting quylthulg
Greater draconic quylthulg
Greater demonic quylthulg
Glaurung
Gelugon
Nightcrawler

....and several others. That counts about everything I care about - Morgoth itself, Huan, angel and giant uniques.

Unless that MoD with 7 (8 with warrior) blows have been fixed in 3.4 it makes it huge against almost anything. With slay undead as feature of MoD itself, anything with UNDEAD-flag gets x3 dice damage. That alone makes it 472.5 with 7 blows. Add +20 from STR and +20 or so from other boosts and you have 752,5 against undeads + criticals, which there will be many and big ones. Others would get 315 from x2 acid-slay.

I think immunity to element would be less bad than any brand. If you could make it permanent double-resist without activation and reasonably high-damage ball spell with activation with not-too-long recharge then that would make them worth the depth. This would require code change, but with all that is going on with the code I don't think that would be too big change.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote