Thread: Pyrel dev log
View Single Post
Old June 8, 2012, 11:58   #65
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulord View Post
You dont need a million entries, just have the entries be like
[ (1, The One Ring's ID number),
(100000, Lembas wafer's ID) ...]

And when you generate the random item number you subtract the allocation value of the first entry, then move on to the next until allocation value > random number. Then you found your item. To speed it up put larger numbers up front.
We are violently agreeing with each other. I didn't mean you need a million items in a python dict, I meant that the conceptual number line / allocation table has one entry for The One Ring and a million entries for a Ration of Food (or whatever).

P.S. Derakon: we've reached the point where this thread no longer displays nicely in the Oook software (it says "More replies below current depth" and requires extra clicks and scrolling) - so please could you start a new thread? Thanks.