Thread: First release
View Single Post
Old October 7, 2017, 10:24   #5
Quirk
Adept

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Firstly: thanks, this means a lot. You've inspired me to get out of bed and get back to trying to get forges to spawn reliably at depths 100, 300, 500, 700 and 900 as a first step to improving smithing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucephalus View Post
Changes to stealth: I'm OK with this. Early game Sil is pitiless, and makes getting certain builds off the ground (smiths, archers) essentially a gamble. Nobody wakes up in the morning and says, "Today I think I'd like to fight nine wolves at once. Heck, I'll even do naked!".

Whether or not this is the "right" solution for early game, I think it was broken, and I think you've fixed it.
This was almost a little accidental. I was trying to improve stealth a bit, but much of the feedback I was getting was from people having it fall apart from them later on. I considered undoing it. Now I'll keep it.

Quote:
Impale: YES. Prereqs make for an interesting choice. Polearms and greatswords, truly Sil's bastard weapons, have been redeemed by this, IMO. One obvious question: If I can hit a guy two squares away if there's another guy between us, why can't I do that when there isn't?
Oooh. In the place where "you attack the air", maybe I could check one step further if you have a polearm or greatsword and see if you can reach.

Quote:
Whirlwind: Looks good on paper. Of course the reason nobody took this is because the only circumstances where it was viable were also character-endingly untenable, utterly avoidable, and obviated by herbs of rage.
This may even be too good, but if it is I'll try to find some trade-off. Fall-backs I've considered are stopping the first time you score a hit, and decreasing your evasion slightly.

Quote:
Knock Back: I always felt this was underrated. Not sure how I feel about this.
Going to keep it where Throwing Mastery was, now, and see if it gets more popular as something easily accessible early on without prereqs. It does make for a different play experience and that's valuable.

Quote:
In summary, and with all due respect to half (who turned my favorite roguelike into something arguably better), these changes have me questioning how I could go back to vanilla, and that's if you were to stop now. Please keep it up.
Right! On with smithing.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote