View Single Post
Old April 24, 2012, 08:58   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
Thanks for the offer! I'm planning to start marketing the game for a wider roguelike audience once the next version, Halls of Mist, is "ready". Having a deb and rpm would be helpful at that point. Learning more about Debian is fun, too.

I compile the game with make -f Makefile.std install.
Ok, so making a deb should be nice and easy - you just use 'make -f Makefile.std' in your debian/rules, and then use debhelper to do the 'install' bits for you (moving stuff into the right places). Start with the new maintainer's guide - it looks long but is actually nicely chunked up.
Quote:
Having .deb would be even more useful if Mist code was under GPL. Sadly, I have no idea how close it is to being GPL. I can ask Eytan of course. But Ey was based on Vanilla Angband 2.9.3, and that codebase may include lots of mysterious non-GPL stuff...
I'm pretty sure that Eytan put his own code under the GPL (since he contributed to the GPL version of V) - but it should be easy enough to contact him to confirm this. That just leaves any bits hungover from earlier versions - but almost everything had been put under the GPL. The missing people are listed here, along with what they contributed. I don't know how much work it would be to make Halls of Mist GPL-clean, but it might be worth trying before you release a deb/rpm.
Quote:
I'm not really going to spend time on graphics. Mist is just a hobby and my own personal favorite game; nowadays I'm playing more than coding. I want to concentrate on doing fun things. I love ASCII, and working with graphics would feel like work. Furthermore, my codebase is so antiquated that it would feel like reinventing the wheel.
Don't worry, I wasn't urging you to support SDL, just reassuring you that the work is not in the packaging of it! I think text-only roguelikes are a fine thing, and look forward to trying it.
Quote:
The only interface thing that really bothers me is the message line. My playtesting friend is very annoyed at having to press space all the time. He's bugging me to double the line.
Surely the solution to that is the easy_more option? If your version doesn't have it, it's only a few lines of code to add in. (Or if you want to get more sophisticated, look at message handling in Un.)