Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Orion HT Warrior:
Bought 30 phase doors
2 !CLW
An average main gauche (20.6dpr)
5 food rations
two iron shots

DL1: I hit a telport trap, quaff a potion of speed and read a ?Summon monster, easily kill a blubbery icky thing, a centpide and a spotted mushroom. Down a passageway a louse takes me to CL3 and 62hp.

DL2: Not much doing, so I contemplate hitting the stairs before exploring, but decide against it and immediately find another !speed. A few passageways, monsters and a room later another !speed. I kill Grip (CL5, 81hp), but let Fang live as I run away from him for the stairs.

DL3: A room exploding with loues takes some careful whacking away at 3.4 blows per round and I am just able to reign the whole thing in, eradicating all the lice from the center of the room. CL6, 87hp, few more monsters and CL7, 110hp and a ?DD takes me to

DL8: In a 4 chambered special room I find a rod of light and am careless with a room full of cave orcs, but am able to flee from them at 19hp. While fleeing I become faint from hunger, but have enough space to eat before the orcs will be on me. At 47/115hp I come to stairs and need to decide to try to fight the cave orcs with an average main gauche; ?phase door or hit the stairs. Considering the chambers each hold 24 squares, there could be up to 24 cave orcs. I read a ?blessing and start whacking away at them, but the blessing doesn’t last nearly long enough (3 or 4 turns???) I then misclick, and for some reason hitting the comma key wastes a turn (why didn’t it do nothing?) I look at the descriptions of the cave orcs and happily see they are hurt by bright light; I blast them with my rod, and a dark elven warrior also gets hit hard. I try to zap it again forgetting I’m not playing last game and no longer have 2 rods of light, and waste another turn, stumbling forward giving the dark elven warrior first dibs to hit me, taking me to 4hp. I kill him, and frustrated, quaff a !speed to kill the last injured cave orc. I kill him, but there are no more monters, so a !CLW would have been sufficient. A short time later I kill a few more things and reach CL10, 130hp. I pick up a maul which I’ll use for digging.

DL9 I nearly die to a dark elf and a baby dragon, when the baby dragon breathes twice. I pick up 31 arrows of venom (+5, +4) and a lantern. I kill some more things, find some bolts (+2, +4) {??} and hit the stairs. I should mention I have 1 !CLW and have not found any so far.

DL10: I get blinded while fighitng some things, and then paralyzed, but it only lasts a turn. A ?phase door gets stolen, I kill the things, and in the next room get blinded by a black mamba. I remember three UnID’d potions I picked up earlier (one gets stolen) and I am, for some reason, fairly certain it’s going to be !CSW, so I use it to clear my eyes and I am right. A baby red dragon destroys a ?phase door. The brigand steals my rod of light. A scruffy hobbit drops me sandals [1, +0]; my second piece of armor I’ve found thus far, bringing my AC up to a whopping 5. The brigand continues to steal stuff (oil, CSW).

I come into a clutch of hill orcs and trade health for corpses when their leader Grishnakh suddenly appears and I am a bit slow to notice. At 49hp, I become faint from hunger again. The Brigand is one square away coming from the other direction. I ?phase door and eat... no, no I don’t eat. I have no food. I check my messages and see that a rot jelly ate my 4 rations of food. Boy would I love perisstant messages. Messages that last one turn when one turn lasts 1/100th of a second sure is lousy.

I move away from the orcs and await death. I soon come to an acid trap and since my DEX is only 14 I walk on in intentionally, not having turns to spare to try to disarm it and lose another 5hp and a ?phase door and learn the rune of rAcid from my amulet. A dark elven mage confuses me and I must have picked up another !CLW because I have two, one which I quaff to finish him off taking me to CL13, 33/190hp. The cave orcs are one square away but the escape from the room is 3. I make a run for it, losing some skin, and turn to kill a couple cave orcs which goes somewhat to my favor as I don’t lose too much health (ie. I don’t die) in the skirmish. But several turns later paralysis twice and the other cave orcs are nipping at my heels. I have 18hp and am thinking I need to ?phase. I ?phase favorably, kill a blubbery icky thing and try to search a room for food but the orcs are soon here and I escape down another passageway. I round a corner up an adjacent corridor as my health starts falling from near-death. At 10hp I quaff my last CLW and find myself surrounded. I ?phase, run, and grishnakh closes in on my as paralysis loses my advantage. Paralysis again and Grishnakh kills me. Let’s try to remember rot jellies eat my food.