View Single Post
Old February 11, 2017, 23:09   #12
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Does anyone have a list of the necessary fixes to make it old-school again?
* remove multiple pvals
* Nerf certain artifacts
* Remove max object depths
* Fix door bashing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
My bad. It was 3.2 that lost all repeatability. 4.0 still has too many powerful items, but not the ridiculous flood of 3.2. Speed boots used to be a huge find. Now they are everywhere. Ego dragonscale is better than artifacts. All deep ego weapons are big three. Etc.
I'd be interested to see a complete list of the changes which you think have unbalanced the game, as there's always the opportunity to change things.

My suspicion is that it's not quite as simple as that, because there was considerable rebalancing over 3.3-3.5. In particular, the whole business of collecting object stats for multiple games and making allocation decisions based on that was introduced. The game has certainly changed, but I don't think it's certain that it's now easier.

And then once we can even agree on what the current balance is, there's the question of what the desirable balance is. It may be that the people who have been playing for 10+ years find the game easier just because they're so used to it. There are still new people taking up the game; I would not want to set the entry barrier too high.

All that said, my current plan is to alter the monster list a bit before 4.1 in ways that will probably make the game harder. I'm fairly confident that the community already does a reasonable job of keeping the game balanced - that's certainly what happened after 3.2.

It's worth keeping in mind, too, that one of the chief sources of criticism of 3.2 was the ease of finding speed boots, which was the result of a type in an allocation line