View Single Post
Old June 9, 2020, 22:04   #18
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum
Huh, was somehow convinced the silver veins of Moria weren't found until the second age. I stand corrected. Also fuck yeah, words of power! Any chance herbs/potions will be baked into them as well?
No, though the plan is to Tolkienise herbs and potions a lot further, as I have a strong distaste for the gamey sound of Potions of Strength and Herbs of Weakness.

Athelas and Miruvor have a good deal more First Age canonicity than words of power though, and while other herbs and potions will not have quite the same weight of validity, herbs and potions will be kept.

Quote:
EDIT: The tiles of slaying ego weapons on the floor are replaced by black boxes when in foe proximity.
Clearly I need to look at slaying weapons with tiles. Have updated https://github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/issues/19. Thanks.

Quote:
* I like the new enemy designs. Maybe the Wraiths are a tad too harsh on armor-focused characters, especially as high evasion is generally better as is.
Try the new Blocking skill, it gives high Protection characters a lot of oomph.

Quote:
* The "Balanced" re-roll could maybe be replaced by an additional +1 to hit and "Ponderous" no-crits effect could be replaced by just adding some weight to the item. Wouldn't change their function much and would reduce feature bloat. If you're replacing consumables with words of power, maybe consider nixing item weight altogether and replace current weapon weight with (a functionally identical) weapon balance rating?
Currently I'm trying to add variety rather than narrow it, but Balanced does rather more than +1 (it's closer to +3), and Cumbersome couldn't really be modelled by adding weight - adding weight will not negate crits given a high enough roll, and will provide more room for the strength bonus, making it much less of a drawback. Balance and weight are very different things. Light weapons improve crits, heavy weapons damage from Strength. A badly balanced weapon should improve neither.

Quote:
* Didn't test Outwit; learning monster perception rates feels like a hassle compared to critical resistance for high armour characters, and it's superflous with high evasion anyhow. Do monsters have a default value tied to native depth similar to most other stats? Also the name could use some work; how smart are you really if they're punching you in the face?
Stealth players will already in general be strongly aware of enemy Perception, which increases with depth somewhat similarly to Melee, Evasion and Will. Point taken that many heavy-armour players won't have had to care before now though.

Outwitted enemies are generally failing to hit you with more than a glancing blow; I get one could argue that if you're so very clever they shouldn't hit you at all, but I don't think it's that bad a fit.

Quote:
* On the whole, I'd say there's two pretty big balance issues atm. First off the grace skills feels severely underpowered save as prerequisites for abilities. I currently get 7 will for poison resistance and 6 perception for Rauko-Bane, and that's it. Never feel punished for not raising them higher thanks to all the Free Action/See Invisible/Clarity being tossed about. Song/Smithing are of course only used for abilities. Compare this with getting 20++ base melee/evasion for combat characters wanting to beat V.
I definitely share this concern with Perception, which is one reason I'm keen to tie it into the new Focus mechanic. The connection to trap detection was never a particularly happy one from my viewpoint, and there are only a small number of invisible enemies even after my additions.

Will I think does have a lot more relevance particularly in the late game. While resistance to effects like stat drain is available, it competes with lots of other possibilities and often players are relying on Will to carry the day. I am a little concerned that Will losing relevance to staffs may have an effect - I may tie Perception to Focus regen and Will to maximum Focus, though I'm worried about overly complicating a new mechanic.

Quote:
* More importantly, difficulty drops off a cliff after 800' or so. Plenty of reasons why, eg lots of combat xp, fewer monsters overall, more territorial monsters, scrying staff abuses, monsters not being able to keep up with player evasion etc. You can still die to V in the throne room or not having protection around breathers, but that's about it really. Prior to that the difficulty curve feels more or less spot on.
Yeah, this is a big issue. It's been around for quite a while - 950' has been farming depth since I started playing Sil - and I do have some intentions to address it, though they're not very firm right now. The last levels could possibly benefit from being shrunk.

I have been considering making the Nameless Things That Gnaw The Roots Of The World that Gandalf and the balrog fled upwards from into a series of horrifying and very dangerous uniques (without acid) - not quite Ungoliant dangerous, but close to it. (Ungoliant may get a heavy buff: as a match for Morgoth, she should be terrifying. Bit iffy on the canonicity of her hanging round Angband though).

Removing the big stat boost potions will make tough late game enemies somewhat more worrying, though perhaps as you say the issue is more that there are fewer of them with a more territorial nature - drakes are unpleasant to fight, but unlikely to chase you, while troll guards are mostly no real threat to late game characters. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks very much for all the testing. It's appreciated.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote