View Single Post
Old June 25, 2009, 21:22   #21
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
So I added a section on Terminology to the wiki page, which will hopefully clear up some confusion (or at least make some genuine disagreement explicit); please let me know if you don't agree or think I'm crazy.

The thing that I think is important to add to the discussion (which has so far mostly been left out) is how projectile-paths should be implemented in the particular suggestions. Especially in DFOV, there are situations where a wall square won't block a projectile, but players might expect a monster in that square to absorb the missile. E.g.:

Code:
@.#   @.#   @.#
#o#   o##   oy#
#p#   #p#   #p#
In each of these, most player would like to imagine that the novice ranger couldn't shoot them. The question is, what is the correct way to implement projectile path? Whatever your answer, consider the following:

Code:
@.#   @.#
o.#   .y#
#p.   #p#
Are the player's shots against the novice ranger blocked in both of these cases? Clearly, if the orc/yeek were walls, the shot would be available (according to DFOV). This implies (to me) that projectile paths will need to treat occupied squares and walls differently in terms of path-blockage.

Either that, or that projectiles will be much harder (or impossible) to block, which has very serious (probably unacceptable) problems for game play.
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote