View Single Post
Old June 26, 2009, 10:31   #168
PaulBlay
Knight

PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
I hold that displaying additional walls (such as exterior and corner wall tiles of rooms) does not require making them technically visible or targettable. This applies to the arguments about whether expanding shadows are compatible with 'nice' display of room walls.

For clarity I've suggested some changes to the wiki page and I'd like to know whether anybody really thinks it's a good idea to expand visibility/targetability for walls displayed as a "special case".

Here's an example of what I mean from the "diamond wall blocks" system.

Code:
??##.##??
#...@....
#........
#........
Our hero has just walked into a room. The '?' grids are wall tiles that are naturally 'out of sight'.

Code:
#G##.####
#...@....
#........
#........
Same situation, but room walls are displayed as a special case. Although they are displayed, they are not targetable and a ghost in the position shown would not be shown (nor would it be able to target the @).

Code:
#G##.####
#...@....
#........
#........
Same situation but displayed room walls are specially made visible and targetable. The G can target the @ and the @ could target the G (if there were spells that hit G's in walls). However if the @ casts a stone to mud where the G is it will no longer be a special case and will 'disappear' (no longer be able to target, or be targetable). I don't see why anyone would want this to happen - but if people do speak now or forever hold your peace.