View Single Post
Old January 28, 2014, 18:32   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
There's a number of ways you can completely change combat in Angband which would, as a side-effect, make armor more meaningful. I think though that the main problem with the current system is simply that the numbers are so huge. It's hard to get excited about +5 to AC when your total AC is 100.

If you want each point of AC to be as relevant as, say, a point of DEX or INT or whatever, then you need a drastically compressed scale. Most non-body armor would have a base AC of maybe 1-3, with enchantment being similarly capped; body armor would be bigger but probably mostly in the range of 4-10 plus similar enchantment. The overall goal would be to get a "top-tier" AC value down to around 50 at most, which would be roughly equivalent to an AC in the current game of 300+.

I don't think too much needs to change beyond that. AC does function in the current game. Characters who spend a lot of time fighting in melee (at least half the classes, in other words) will notice if their AC changes significantly, as it has a major impact on how much damage they take. Sure, there are issues with big magical nukes, not being able to fight multiple enemies simultaneously, etc. but I think it's possible to solve the AC problem without tackling those.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote