View Single Post
Old January 13, 2014, 20:37   #4
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'd like to think I'd give the same response regardless of your gender, but I'll never know now, will I?
I hope the awful torment of not knowing doesn't drive you insane.

Quote:
If you have no way to kill things, then you're pretty much stuck. However, all classes ought to be able to kill things at the start. Mages have Magic Missile and everyone else is at least marginally competent in melee. You can also buy flasks of oil for throwing at monsters.
Yeah, you just have to apply more "strategery" to survive early on with a weak character. I was just idly hoping there was some secret way to build up XP without having to hurl endless missiles/flasks of oil/unID'd potions at every jelly I see.

Quote:
A lategame Mace of Disruption of Slay Evil will be quite competitive vs. say a Katana of Extra Attacks; even though you might get 4 extra blows/round with the Katana, the Mace of Disruption just hits so much harder that it makes back the difference easily.
Ah, that clears things up a bit. I've tended to think only in terms of total cumulative damage with multiple hits, but I get it now -- if you can hit hard enough in a single blow, you may not need the others. I'll have to start looking harder at some of those heavier weapons.

Quote:
Maces of Disruption are about as heavy as lances are. I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head, but they're both pretty ridiculous.
I think they're 20 lbs., and it does make perfect sense that you'd have to be pretty strong to wield such a thing. I have a hard enough time pouring cat food from a 20-lb. bag, let alone wave it menacingly at intruders. (One weapon I've always felt is too heavy in the game is the Quarterstaff. I've handled quite a few over the years (I used to hang out with medieval recreationists and martial artists), and I've never held one that felt that heavy at all.)

Quote:
These are pretty limited, yeah. A Wand of Slow Monster can be quite useful against early uniques; it may take a lot of tries to get it to stick, but once you've slowed them down they're basically defenseless. The other ones are generally not worth the inventory slot to carry though. Staves of Slow/Confuse Monster also wake up everything in LOS when you use them, which can be really counterproductive.
Ha, so I was right. I kept thinking there must be something I was missing because they sell for so much... although, if you think about it, prices for items do not necessarily reflect their utility in all cases.

Quote:
Sure, hobbits are a pretty good race. I've played hobbit warriors just fine and their combat stats are only a little better than paladins' are.
Hmmmm... perhaps I'll try that next. I will admit, albeit shamefacedly, that I'm just too vain to play a dwarf or troll. Half-orcs are as far as I go. Orthodontia will fix that underbite, and I hear red worm mass hair removal is the very latest thing in all the top salons!

Last edited by gglibertine; January 13, 2014 at 20:43.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote