View Single Post
Old August 18, 2013, 21:44   #6
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodman View Post
Bad mechanic for a roguelike.

In angband you can run into stuff you don't know how to deal with. The obvious response is to leave. In this game it's sitting there along the path you were told to pursue, and not avoidable.
Well, if you aren't keen on there being specific monsters that aren't killed by bashing them repeatedly, Tome4 might not be the game for you.

Quote:
Bad design. it's hard enough to pleasantly bring up their stats, let alone having to compare them all to yours. In a game where I fight 10 things, this might be forgiveable, but without any analysis hints it would still be tedious. In a game where I fight thousands of things, it's just wrong.
Experience will tell you how tough stuff is, and you shouldn't be meeting OOD stuff unless you wander into the wrong dungeon or into a vault, so maybe you should expect this kind of thing.
Quote:
On my *many* tries, I did attempt this. When they keep teleporting me back into them, that's the game telling me that this option is not availalble.
The game is undercommunicative in many ways. In angband if I'm teleported, there's an explicit message I advance through manually. In this game I get poofed around and often don't have any idea which dude did it.
It does tell you, there is a log in which you will see, x monster used y talent, and it should be visible there what happened to you.
Quote:
Bad design. This should be in the game.
The wiki isn't necessary. It's a game of exploration, go and explore. Die, and then get further with the next guy. You're not supposed to win with your first or every character. I just thought that you might like it. Much of it even is in the game, you just have to look around, read lore etc.

Quote:
Crawl, for example, you may want to do the branches in an order other than you discover them, but they're quite finite and they don't lie to you in difficulty (bandit quest) and you aren't signposted to go to the wrong ones. Also you don't get a "YOU FAILED" message if you go in a bit and then decide it's too hard and leave.
Nothing lies to you about difficulty. There isn't quite enough information about difficulty, but you aren't misled. You got a YOU FAILED message simply because you did. You undertook a quest to save some dude trapped in some tunnels, and you didn't. As simple as that. Failing a quest doen't kill your character or anything.

I can't think of a situation when you are 'signposted' to go somewhere, so I'm not sure I understood what you meant there.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote