Thread: Acid
View Single Post
Old June 26, 2012, 17:34   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanlongwucaii View Post
Aether hounds are nasty. They can breathe pretty much everything including time.
But in practice, because they have so many breath weapons, they're unlikely to use the really nasty ones. Here's their spell entry from monster.txt:
Code:
S:1_IN_5
S:BR_ACID | BR_CHAO | BR_COLD | BR_DARK | BR_DISE
S:BR_ELEC | BR_FIRE | BR_GRAV | BR_INER | BR_LIGHT | BR_NETH
S:BR_NEXU | BR_PLAS | BR_POIS | BR_SHAR | BR_SOUN | BR_TIME
S:BR_WALL
If we consider acid, cold, dark, electricity, fire, light, nether, nexus (because at this point you should have maxed stats), plasma, poison, shards, and sound to be not-very-nasty elements, then 12 out of 18 of their possible breath weapons are not dangerous. Plasma and sound would be dangerous in a group, but an occasional mild stun is not going to kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm
In fact it does. Acid resistance will lower the damage you take from acid attacks, and since the chance of inventory damage is directly proportional to the damage you take, having acid resistance will lower the chance of you armor being damaged.
Firstly, this does nothing about the damage your armor takes from acid attacks. Secondly, from my reading of inven_damage (the function that destroys items), it takes as a parameter "cperc", which is the chance of damage occuring, multiplied by 100. It doesn't care about damage. And all of the calls to inven_damage...ah, okay, so I misread earlier. They set cperc to be the minimum of 300 or 5 * the damage dealt by the attack.

Okay, never mind. I'd thought the calls all set it to be 300 regardless of damage dealt. My mistake. And what I said earlier in another thread where someone was complaining about inventory damage rates was thus similarly misguided.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote