View Single Post
Old November 1, 2019, 00:27   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Interesting post, and you make some good points. Since becoming maintainer most of the work I have done on datafile parsing has been adding new stuff to parse. I have done a little re-organisation here and there, but have mainly been adding to your diagram rather than simplifying it

Anything I say below is from my limited understanding; comment from takkaria and other devs might invalidate some of it.

Now, my comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
  • The stores and dungeon init/parse functions could be merged at the tail of the others array initialization and cleanup, in the pl[] array (init.c). It seems to work. The init_modules store_ and generate_ would no longer be necessary
As far as I can see, this leaves the modules for non-datafile game data, and combines all the datafile data into the arrays module. This seems like a good idea, and also suggests to me that some of the non-datafile stuff should make its way into datafiles (messages is one I've long wanted to do, but it is a big job).

Quote:
  • All the File Parsers could be grouped in a few init-something files, like i.e. the z-something and ui-something groups, just to better separate and identify this support functionality from the main game logic. The issue, I think, is moving things away from old files, where people is used to found them, to other or new files . It is a problem to increase the number of .c/.h files?
This also seems like a reasonable idea. Originally all the parsing was in one file (well, two, but that's another story), and breaking it up as far as it currently is was probably a good idea. However, I think having init as a prefix (so init-obj rather than obj-init) is a decent plan. It's probably not a good idea to break up completely into one init file per datafile; object.txt, ego_item.txt and artifact.txt, for example, have enough things used in common (arrays of flags, etc) that it probably makes sense to keep them all in one file.

Quote:
  • The FilePaser struct could comprise both the filename to parse (the current unused 'name' field) and the description to print (Initalizing... /Cannot initialize ...). Or both could be placed in the pl[] array? I implemented the first solution.
That seems completely sensible and much simpler.

Quote:
  • The grab_something functions could be moved elsewhere, because they don't deal directly with datafiles, but I can't figure where. Maybe in parser.c, as ancillary parsing functions?
  • I also would like to better clarify in the code the roles/relations of (basic) Parser and FileParser, the latter sitting on top of the former one. There is something that escapes me, but I can't grasp exactly what. My fault maybe
So my understanding is this:
  • parser.c is the low level file which sets up functions like parser_getint() that the individual file parsers can use, and functions that create and destroy individual parsers;
  • datafile.c I made from pulling higher level stuff out of parser.c and lower level stuff out of the various file parsers; it's meant to be all the code that's more Angband-specific than parser.c, but applicable across lots of datafiles;
  • datafile.c also contains file handling routines for reading (usually by calling functions from parser.c) and writing datafiles;
  • Then the individual datafile parsers are the highest level.
So maybe datafile.c should contain just the file handling stuff, and the grab_*() functions could be moved to another file - init-util.c, maybe, if we're using init-*.c for intialisation files?

Thinking about this has been very helpful for me - I hope it has helped you a bit too.