View Single Post
Old March 22, 2012, 17:48   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I've thought quite a bit about player invisibility also, and I've had some questions about how it's implemented in variants that use it.

1) What levels of awareness do monsters have? I can think of the following. a) asleep. b) awake but unaware of @'s existence. c) awake, aware of @'s existence, but not where @ currently is on the level. d) awake, aware of @ being nearby, but not exact location. e) awake, knowledgeable of @'s current location. Maybe there are others too?
This seems like a comprehensive hierarchy to me, though I don't know if it's implemented anywhere.
Quote:
2) Is invisibility binary, or can it have an associated skill level? If binary, do certain monsters have the see invisible skill? If not, do monsters use a separate statistic beside the awareness stat?
In Sangband, which is the only variant I've played with player invisibility, it's a pval-set ability (like light radius). So items can increase your invisibility rating. I don't know how it's checked (but it would be easy to look up).
Quote:
3) Will monsters attack an invisible monster if they can't see it? For example, an orc without the ability to see invisible wants to get to @ but there's a poltergeist in the square between. The orc shouldn't know of the ghost's existence, so it should try to move into that square, at which point it should attack the square. If this isn't the case, would it change if @ was invisible too and the orc tried to move into a square with an invisible monster?
I think it's a pretty strong rule in most *bands that monsters don't attack each other. But I think a trampler should trample over a monster it can't see if it wants to move into that square.
Quote:
4) Do monsters have the telepathy skill in the same way that @ does? In which case, invisibility is obsolete when telepathic monsters start showing up.
Well of course at the moment ALL monsters in V/v4 have telepathy, because they always know where @ is when they're awake. But giving this ability to a small number of monsters, once your original hierarchy of awareness is implemented, would be cool IMO.