View Single Post
Old June 24, 2018, 01:28   #7
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
First, my plans. I had none for O (and have never been involved with S). For FA, at some stage I was going to take current Vanilla, and build a new version of FA on top of it, roughly as you are talking about. The things I consider core for that are the dungeons and wilderness, and the First Age bits of monsters, artifacts, ego items and races. Many other aspects - monster AI, classes, specialties, even combat system - I am undecided on.

In fact, while I have imported some things into V from O/FA (cone-shaped breaths, for example), they have mostly not come in unchanged. Most of the new features I have brought into V (eg traps, ID, curses) are informed by O/FA, but I have tried to rethink them rather than slavishly copy.

Now, obviously, you can do this however you want. My suggestion would be to keep updating your codebase to keep it in line with current V, so at every stage it's current Angband plus your changes.

Note that the file lib/gamedata/world.txt has a list of all the dungeon levels, which I planned expand to give an FA style world map. There is a level structure in game-world.h which has up and down fields, which will need north, east, south and west added.

This has rambled a bit, and there is more I could say, but I'll stop here. Good luck!