View Single Post
Old July 13, 2018, 21:15   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hghwyrbbr View Post
My understanding of the concept of "balance", in a game like Angband, is: "the game should not become too easy for the player too quickly." Am I correct?
Kind of. It's more that the player should be making interesting choices. And interesting choices largely come from being threatened; after all, if there is no serious threat, then it hardly matters what you do, right?

Quote:
The one thing I dislike about Angband, is that balance (if my definition of it is correct) seems to be achieved primarily via extreme scarcity of good items in the earlier levels.
But as a consequence of this, isn't it supremely frustrating to play for a while in the initial stages of a game, especially for more "fragile" players like high-elf mages for example?

Balance in games should go hand in hand with the game being "interesting". For me, the definition of an "interesting" game is "a game where luck and boring grind play only a small role, and success comes with mostly skill on the player's part."

So, is there anything that could be done to make the early game more "interesting"?
You do not need to grind as a mage. With their spells alone they're entirely capable of continuing to progress deeper into the dungeon. Indeed, of all the classes, gear matters least for mages in the early game. I fully expect you could take a mage down to level 20 without any equipment aside from a light source.

You shouldn't need to grind as any class, really, unless you're doing certain challenges like bookless-artifactless (or bookless-artifactless-egoless) where you're heavily reliant on getting certain fairly rare items like a +15 or better Ring of Speed. Your class's native abilities, plus gear available in town, should be entirely sufficient to get you through the early game, which is the part I believe you're suggesting should be updated.

If you want the game to be interesting, try crash-diving instead. Take every down staircase you see, push up against the limits of your skill, and try to survive anyway. I guarantee that will be more interesting than hanging out collecting unearned loot.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote