View Single Post
Old September 26, 2018, 16:10   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It can be surprisingly difficult to render a large grid of anything without getting performance penalties. I discovered that when writing the Pyrel UI. The naive approach (just tell your GUI widget library to render a text symbol for every tile in view on every update) is horrifically slow. Getting clever about remembering which portions of the screen have changed and only rerendering those helps, but then scrolling the view is also horrifically slow (because every single tile "changes"). So then you start saying "well, the scrolled view re-uses a lot of tiles from the previous view, so I'll keep the previous view around, redraw it at an offset, and then draw the new/updated tiles on top of that" and you have fairly complex drawing logic that's still really not all that fast.

As for tilesets vs. software-rendered fonts, I can absolutely believe that it's faster to blit a texture to a tile than it is to draw an "@". After all, drawing the "@" involves first converting the vectors to a raster image and then...converting that raster to a texture and blitting it. A pre-rendered tileset of the kind t4nk describes is super common in gaming. You can load the entire tileset into your GPU's memory and then just send a payload to the GPU saying "render this tile here, render that tile there", and it can draw the entire screen without having to go back to the CPU for more information.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote