View Single Post
Old April 24, 2019, 09:34   #8
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
I don't think there is anything about the open source model that prevents you making money here. If anything I recall many of us being glad in the 90s to see Red Hat proving an open source company could be profitable and even the GPL itself states:
"You may charge any price or no price for each copy that you convey, and you may offer support or warranty protection for a fee."

There is a long history of people making money from supporting and packaging open source, in other words, and speaking for myself I am quite happy to see you pocket any profit you can muster from supporting my little variant.

However, I suspect this is an endeavour more likely to provide beer money than living expenses. Games are likely the least efficient way to convert coding ability into money, and ASCII roguelikes are a good deal less profitable still. Looking at it with cold career-focused eyes I would say the chief way I would expect Angband.live to prove profitable to you is as a portfolio piece, if you want to work in software. It demonstrates significant practical abilities and in some contexts could be worth as much or more in getting you a job as a degree.

Last edited by Quirk; April 24, 2019 at 17:36.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote