View Single Post
Old September 27, 2021, 03:43   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
After considerable effort, I have now got back to the situation of 8 years ago. The very uninformative home page is here.

This is not yet a game. It has progressed enough that I can say the method of saving and reloading of dungeon and wilderness (including monsters, objects and the player) works, and the game can be closed and re-opened and loads the savefile correctly. But my intention is for the game to look absolutely nothing like its current form - in particular pretty much all the gameplay is going to be gutted and replaced with something more like Sil, and I don't really have a clear picture of what you might call a win condition. The foundation of the game is the map, and so getting that working the way I want it is top priority.

My broad plan from here is:
  1. Get wilderness generation working. This involves getting the individual types working (forest, plain, etc), and then adding rivers and roads which are handled separately. Also I'll need to properly add in landmarks besides the gates of Angband.
  2. Work out how characters are going to work. The general idea is redo races, replace classes with a Sil-like skill tree, and then try to make that balanced, all with a planned new stat system.
  3. Completely overhaul the monster and object lists.
  4. Start thinking about how a game is played, including tasks and how to actually move around this ridiculous world.
The code repository will be updated from time to time, but this is a big task and progress is likely to be slow and irregular. My sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed to Angband and FA, as this is all built on top of that effort. I hope that one day this becomes something worth playing