View Single Post
Old October 12, 2017, 10:46   #29
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph View Post
quarterstaves still seem a bit weak. for comparison a defender bastard sword in both hands is (-2,3d5)[+2] vs (+0,2d4)[+2] and about the same weight. defender quarterstaves might be nice. maybe some quarterstaff ability e.g. half of your dex is added as str. of vaulting gives them good utility. they are also in weird middle ground between wanting to be light for riposte, and heavy for knockback and smashing blow.
Quarterstaves are a bit weak. At (0, 2d4)[+2] they were just useful enough for wobbly to ditch a curved sword for them, but they don't hold up against later game weapons at all.

Quote:
i like feint from a balance stand point, dislike it from a flavour stand point.
That it most benefits weapons you wouldn't easily feint with troubles me. Feint sounds like a technique that goes with parry and riposte, and the current design doesn't work like that.

Quote:
flavour-wise, i think smashing blow should be limited to blunt weapons and/or capped by str.
Yes, Smashing Blow on an extremely heavy great axe is I think too much right now. I'm playing with alternatives.

I am actually thinking of giving blunt weapons some kind of intrinsic advantage - either reducing armour, or stunning. This would potentially allow them to still be useful while having a lower dice pool.

Quote:
edit: also it doesn't make sense flavour-wise that one can pierce an enemy without killing it.
Depends if one is piercing through the chest (pretty fatal), the abdomen (eventually fatal - but only eventually, which is why rapier duels notoriously frequently led to both parties dying) or the thigh or upper arm (not so fatal unless you hit the femoral artery or the wound gets infected). But Sil doesn't model combat with anything like The Riddle of Steel's realism.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote