View Single Post
Old October 12, 2007, 06:02   #10
Mongler
Rookie

Mongler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcae View Post
The main reason why I no longer play Nethack is that every class plays the same. A mage and a samurai have exactly the same end-game approach to most enemies.
we're all entitled to our opinions, but to be fair, I think that's a bit too broad of a generalization. Wizards will almost always have more PW to cast spells with, and typically better at spellcasting, even in endgame, plus a Samurai can get a Yumi and some Ya for some very powerful archery, whereas Wizards aren't that great at archery. also, Gauntlets of Power interfere with the Wizard's spells.

Quote:
They also, however, are balanced in a second sense: any class is viable for a beginner, even though some are harder than others. A player who starts Nethack with a tourist has a shock coming
somewhat true. one thing about Angband is pretty misleading for newer players, though: when I started out, I had no idea about getting multiple hits with lighter weapons when I started off.

Quote:
YMMV. My own position is, if it's in the game and it's not a bug, do as you wish.
right, but Angband actually has a cheat menu, so it seems possible to accidentally cheat.

Quote:
The spoiler already linked is great. I think a dunadan can also hit 3 times (could be wrong there), but High Elves have the very useful See Invisible, as well as light resistance. The races are much less balanced in Angband then the classes - you'll quickly find that Dunadain and High Elves tend to be better at almost everything. The experience penalty is largely meaningless, because you'll hit Level 50 eventually anyway, and a high-level character gets less experience for the same kills.
I've noticed that Dunadans and High Elves seemed better despite the more exp. required, but there are some pretty viable race/class combinations, like Human Warrior for blazingly fast level gains.
Mongler is offline   Reply With Quote