View Single Post
Old November 10, 2009, 10:28   #7
Dark
Apprentice

Dark is on a distinguished road
Thanks that's great! I'll also have the font file now in case any other varients develope a 32 x 32 tyle set.

As far as Hal goes, ---- by default, it's amount of speech is rather irritating, ---- one of the first things I do is alter the verbosity setting so I'm not getting quite as much random chatter about what sort of menue I'm in, ---- I also have Hal's character echo set to words instead of individual letters.

voice wise, the synth voice Hal starts up with, ---- realspeak daniel isn't actually the one I use. While Daniel is rather human sounding, it's reaction speed is far too slow for my liking, and it has this bizarre thing with acronyms (it even pronounces st as street), which can be a real pain in any rpg setting.

I use the orphius synthesiser, ---- though with a more decent voice than it's default rather electronic one, which reacts at a nice speed, and doesn't do stupid things like calling au australian dollars, ---- it actually pronounces it aw, ---- which in a Uk English accent also comes out sounding the same as Ore, ---- it thus fits, ---- sort of.

As to Hal's horribleness to run, ---- well I've only ever really run into problems running Hal when something interferes with Windows at startup, or my computer is doing something odd at the same time, ---- my university once managed to completely crash my laptop by forceably installing Mcaffi, which detected a virus (placed their from the uni network), at startup, and completely locked up the machine to the point where I had to have someone start it in safe mode and stop the processes running.

Indeed one of the nicer features of hal as compared to some other screen reading programs, is that you can flick the voice, and keys off and on without shutting down the program.

This is really useful for when I'm watching dvd's or playing games I don't need Hal for.

Anyway, I'll stop wranting for now.

thanks again for the tyle set change, ---- it might even let me get my next character to 2000 ft if I'm lucky!
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote