View Single Post
Old October 23, 2016, 03:22   #5
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There is still some thinking to do about the best way to handle detection of traps, doors and stairs.
I haven't played any *bands for about a year, but I used to play my homebrew based on 3.0 often enough before that. One of the very few things I missed from 3.1+ was the trap detection marker. Then I had an inspiration. What is a dungeon level? I'd discussed that many times over the years, with never a decent answer, and suddenly I knew. A dungeon level can be defined to be the area that shows up for detection spells. I.e. any detection should apply to the entire level. No more green lines. [I don't remember the history, but for some period of time detections covered what was in a resizable window, which with appropriate font size and terminal size could cover everything so this is not precisely unprecedented.]

This is a pretty radical change, one that makes the game noticeably easier. Occasionally I felt guilty when dObj gave me massive information, but I never felt guilty for longer than a second or two. It is insanely annoying trying to keep track of what areas have been covered by which detections.

Eliminating detection spells entirely is a possibility, though I think priests should get some. If you keep any detection spells in the game, you owe it to yourself to playtest with full level detections.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote