View Single Post
Old May 9, 2019, 21:50   #12
khearn
Rookie

khearn is on a distinguished road
Take a look at Dwarf Fortress. Toady One has been working on it for years and years, supported only by donations from users. He actually puts out a report every month detailing how much money he has received for the month. Looking at a few samples over the years, it has ranged from ~$3K/month back in 2014, and has ramped up to over $10K/month lately (but he also recently got it on Steam, which probably accounts for a big part of the recent rise). The January reports list income for each month of the year, plus annual amounts dating back to 2007. He's gone from $19K in 2007 up to $92K in 2018.

For a while, I was amazed that he was able to keep going on the amount he was getting, but now it looks like he's getting a decent living from it (which I think is great!). So it *is* possible to make a living from game related donations.

But he's got a pretty good user base, and has put together an amazing game, especially considering it's a one-man project. And being on Steam has got to be a great development. And he's actually developing the game, while you'd be working on a website that some of the game's users will use, and some won't. My gut feeling says that would make it tougher to get people to give, but that is purely a gut feeling, so it may be worthless.

You should probably look at how many weekly active users you have on angband.live and see how much each one would have to donate on average for you to make a living wage. Then consider how many would actually donate, because you'll probably find that relatively few will actually do so.

I'd say look at weekly actives, because anyone who isn't that active is probably unlikely to give much, if at all.
khearn is offline   Reply With Quote