View Single Post
Old June 26, 2018, 19:14   #18
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
I should also say something about monsters.

I've commented before that I think the second half of the game tends to drag a lot. There are a couple problems that cause this.

Unique monsters are often much more difficult than other at-level monsters. This means you usually cannot kill unique monsters when you first find them. Consumables have actually helped resolve this problem up to about dlevel 30, but once you get to uniques like Scatha or Itangast, you absolutely cannot fight them without double resistance or immunity.

There are too many late game uniques and each battle can be long and drawn out.

Many monsters cannot be handled without specific resistances (or even immunities). Monster avoidance is interesting, and a key part of Angband (and other roguelikes). But Angband too often has binary resistances that make the interaction a bit less interesting. If we're reworking the monsters we should keep this in mind.

Angband has a lot of monsters that deal 50% of a characters HP or more with a single attack. A lot of monsters can do this, even through resistances. This winds up limiting tactically interesting possibilities. You simply can not afford to interact with more than one monster that can deal 50% of your health in an attack. Currently Angband resolves the problem by giving the player powerful abilities to control the rules of engagement. Teleport, destruction, teleport other, terrain modification, etc. Any rework in monsters should consider serious nerfs to monsters along these lines, to be compensated by nerfs to player escapes, resistances, or boosts to other monster abilities.

Basically if I had to sum up the changes I'd like Angband to be, Angband currently looks like, "I need to do X now or I may die next turn." I'd like it to be "I need to do X now or I may die in 5 turns"
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote