View Single Post
Old September 28, 2018, 00:52   #7
shirish
Rookie

shirish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I think a savefile is very unlikely to have most of that information that you want to see in a human-readable way anyway. Remember that a savefile is a thing that exists for the game to be able to restore itself after it is shut down. Your equipment list would just be a ton of different numbers referencing other places (the gamedata files). The dungeon layout wouldn't be saved in a way that was understandable, neither would what monsters there are or where they are. The files themselves would also be many megabytes in size, or they would be stored compressed for efficiency, in which case you'd have to uncompress them first. (I know because years ago someone did start implementing a more human readable key-value store for savefiles and this is what happened.)

I wonder if what you want is a better way to choose between different saved games that gives you an indication of a given savefile's current status before you load it? Or maybe an autosaved character dump alongside each savefile that gives you the kind of information you want in a human-readable format?
the latter info. would be quite nice, thank you.

Interestingly though, could you share some more info. or point out to threads about the human-readable save file initiative which was done ?
shirish is offline   Reply With Quote