View Single Post
Old February 10, 2011, 23:28   #5
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
I am also interested in having player ghosts.

Takkaria and I have tried to figure out a good way to support them without the problems that they (apparently) had.
Check out NPP. I am happy with the way they are generated, and their strength, and most of the code is clean and "Vanilla Angbandworthy". I think they are finally balanced to 1) dangerous, but not unfair/instadeath, 2) give an appropriate reward that make them worth fighting.

The only part that extremely ugly code (which I inherited from the old patch) is the way it stores the player_ghost names and depths of death. There are just a bunch of files in a folder that can be loaded. Instead, I want to changed so all of the default ghost templated are in an edit file that is loaded along with everything else in init.2. And then additional ghosts resulting from player deaths are added as a part of the savefile.

I plan on changing/improving this for NPP 0.6.0 when I break savefile compatibility. Unless, of course, you all beat me to it and do your own player ghost patch. In that case, I will shamelessly piggyback on all your hard work.

Consistent with with any and all items on the Angband wishlist that are current features of NPP, I will happily code a patch for your consideration.
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote