View Single Post
Old February 7, 2012, 21:22   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
For my part, I apologize for dropping off the face of the earth for the past month or so. I can't guarantee that I'll be much more active in the future, but I'll try.
No worries, we've all been pretty busy with RL (or WoW, in my case). You haven't missed any momentous development discussions!
Quote:
I assume the holdup here is on deciding what the right numbers are, not in porting over missile combat to use the same system as melee, right?
Correct. I'm convinced that we should use the same system, but I think the calculation of shots and damage need to be a bit different than for melee. For example, prowess should feature in the number of shots calc, which it does not in the calc for melee blows. So we need a new parallel calc_shots fn, though we can possibly re-use the melee calc_multiplier fn, I'm not sure about that. I'm happy to use the same crit fn for the time being - I think it ought to be slightly amended for melee so that fin > prow (because prow crits will be much better because of the bigger dice), so happy to adjust it later.

The main issue is deciding what balance and heft (draw) to give to each launcher, and doing a quick spreadsheet to check for sane numbers.
Quote:
Also, did you implement the simple fix to make missile weapons deal more than 1 damage/hit?
Sorry, no - either I missed it, or just forgot about it. Was it a *10 somewhere?
Quote:
I assume the "before" referred to here is for the previous version of v4, right after the new combat system was added, right?
Yes. Slays got temporarily very powerful at that point, because they were multiplying total damage (after the prowess mult). Now they're actually weaker than they were under the old combat system, but hopefully not too much so. It's very hard to tell, so we'll have to get quite a bit of testing.
Quote:
I'd recommend 2d6 or 3d4 instead, to reduce the odds of getting a terrible enchant. But I'm generally not a big fan of 1dX dice rolls.
That's unfortunately a lot harder than it sounds, because the same fn enchants armour in 1/10th the amounts. If we don't mind enchant armour adding two points of AC each time, it's easy enough to go to 2d5.
Quote:
I'll have to take a look at the new crit algorithm; I'm curious how it works.
It's not very different at all - I kept your chance calc and your while loop (sans cap), and merely added 1dX (where X is o_ptr->ds) for each power level. The main achievement was making the fn deal with AVERAGE and MAXIMISE etc., which is all irrelevant for actual combat.