View Single Post
Old June 19, 2012, 07:54   #5
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
myshkin,

Firstly, thank you for all your work on the Mac port! I look forward to updating the Sil Mac port to reflect most of the changes when I can work out how...
You're welcome! Still, the vast majority of the credit must go to ridiculousfish. I am mostly doing touchup here and there, and don't know near as much Objective C and Cocoa as would be ideal for this task... I'd be happy to lend a hand when you start on the Sil Mac work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
If you look at the linked image above, it has 64x64 tiles and each character of text is much smaller than that. I think each character is a 6th of a tile wide and a 3rd of a tile tall. This seems like the best of both worlds to me. In previous versions with tiles, I thought that there was always too much black space between characters. I also now realise that one would rarely like the tiles to be much bigger than this (unless that is through super hi-res displays...) so my ideal sizes are probably 32x32, 48x48, 64x64.

If you are playing with tiles, then it seems that the Windows/Linux way is markedly superior to the current Mac way. Text only modes might reverse this though, so one needs to bear both in mind.
Hmm. I see where the Windows port is playing with tile_wid/hgt in term_getsize(); is this the code you have in mind? I *think* that shouldn't be too hard to add to the Cocoa port, though likely not until 3.5.

It does also look as if the Carbon port's Graphics menu items for Nice graphics, Bigtile width, and Bigtile height do more or less what you describe (although the "Just get 'em square" option still leaves space between text characters)...so maybe I should just finish porting that behavior.

Last edited by myshkin; June 19, 2012 at 08:01. Reason: Added information about Carbon port.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote