View Single Post
Old October 12, 2021, 17:02   #6
smbhax
Apprentice

smbhax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Anderson View Post
I also use fullscreen on 1920x1080, and I prefer to use Consolas Bold as the font because I think it looks best (especially on main game display). That's why I chose to use it as the default font.
Before reaching the dungeon display screen, the new player has to find their way through a screen or two of text, and in Consolas Bold on my display, those screens were nearly illegible. The colored text on a graphical background probably wasn't helping, I suppose. But the text was also bold and very stretched horizontally. It was really hard to read the instructions.

Quote:
It just goes to show how subjective font choice is, since I think it's the best font and you think it leaves a bad first impression.
I don't know if you're going to find many people who think those first few pages of text are easy to read, especially not in squished Consolas Bold.

Quote:
Anyway, you can select any monospace font that you have installed - although whatever font you choose it will probably be squashed slightly as most fonts are taller than they are wide and the game has to squish each character into a square grid cell.
Would it look better if you scaled without altering the font's aspect ratio? Ie, without squishing it? I don't get the same sense that fonts are being squished when I select different fonts in Sil-Q, for instance, or when I tried different fonts for the Windows console display of DCSS. You might also consider a specifically tailored, somewhat squared and bold font, such as Angband uses for its main window display.

Last edited by smbhax; October 12, 2021 at 17:32.
smbhax is offline   Reply With Quote