View Single Post
Old October 12, 2021, 19:17   #9
Dean Anderson
Adept

Dean Anderson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbhax View Post
Would it look better if you scaled without altering the font's aspect ratio? Ie, without squishing it? I don't get the same sense that fonts are being squished when I select different fonts in Sil-Q, for instance, or when I tried different fonts for the Windows console display of DCSS.
The display is designed to run at a 16x9 resolution with 80x45 characters - which results in exactly square cells for the characters, meaning that on the main display vertical and horizontal distances match each other.

Basically, something has got to give - if you have square cells and rectangular characters to put in them, either:
  1. The characters are stretched to fit the cells.
  2. The characters fill the cell height but not the width, and are therefore widely spaced.
  3. The cells are resized to fit the characters and the display doesn't fill the whole screen.
  4. The cells are resized to fit the characters and the display has a variable number of columns/rows depending on what font you choose.

I've chosen a combination of 1 and 2 as the preferred option, compromising between the amount of stretch and the amount of spacing so neither is excessive.

Option 3 is unacceptable (to me) because it would mean that full screen isn't full screen. And option 4 isn't even under consideration, because the program relies on knowing how many rows and columns the screen has in order to lay out the screen and place text in the correct places.

Quote:
You might also consider a specifically tailored, somewhat squared and bold font, such as Angband uses for its main window display.
You can use any truetype font you have installed on your computer. If there is a particular one you like then you can install it and Cthangband will pick it up and include it in the selection - the selection isn't hard-coded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
A number of variants are using V's main.xxx.c and Makefiles.
Cthangband is written entirely in C# and doesn't use any kind of "main-xxx.c" or any makefiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post
I couldn't figure out how to turn the music and sound off? Very annoying.
There are sliders for the volume of music and the volume of sound (so you can adjust them independently of each other) on the splash screen that it shows you every time you start the program - the same splash screen that lets you choose what font to use.

Simply adjust those sliders to zero and the music and/or sounds won't play at all (it's smart enough not to bother trying to play sound at zero volume).
Dean Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote