Thread: Developing a RL
View Single Post
Old February 8, 2009, 15:31   #5
pndrev
Scout

pndrev is on a distinguished road
Finally got around to continue working on this.

Implemented a basic inventory - picking up, dropping and using items. In the course of that I refined the menu system (for updating menu text while the menu is displayed) and tweaked the basic message system (so everything gets send through the same channels instead of having a few special cases).

A very pleasant surprise was how much of picking up and dropping already was supported in my map code. I just needed to plug in a new list for items, and everything from there went automatically. Three cheers for OOD!

I also decided on a theme for the game. So I'm currently having two different brainstorming lists - one with everything that somehow might fit the theme and one with what I think might get implemented in this first version. When I get the next step done, basic stats, I'll take a break and talk about the theme and scope. From what I have so far it will definitely be a coffee-break RL, but I try to design everything with a possible expansion in mind.

For stats, so far I'm toying with the idea of borrowing Fallouts SPECIAL system. Which would fit in nicely with the theme idea.
pndrev is offline   Reply With Quote