Thread: Dwarf Fortress!
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2008, 23:28   #22
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvius View Post
Well, if there are only and absolutely good things about releasing the source [...]
Of course, it's disputable. And it's disputed in enough places to leave it alone here.

Quote:
[...]But for sure [they] have some reason not to publish it, may it even be the Gollumish My-Precious.
Yes and that's their right, even if it's as awful as jealousy (I don't have the slightest idea about this particular case, no offense to the Dwarf Fortress authors intended). The same as Van Gogh had all the right to hoard or even destroy all his paintings when there were only a few coal or pencil copies of them and not even one color photo (trying to make the analogy as accurate as possible, fortunately he didn't).

Quote:
Uh... I've got no idea what you're talking about. Did I say something offensive?
Well, I felt irritated, especially that I hear such things daily as an effect of media corporations' propaganda. You said

Quote:
Well, you can't blame someone for wanting to protect their own work... ^.^
and while I agree about Van Gogh or the Dwarf Fortress author's right to do what they please with their work, I felt _my_ rights endangered. I insist I have the right to blame them if they, say, destroyed their masterpieces and I insist I have the right to call the hoarding or (incuring the risk of) destruction by their true name and not 'protecting their work'.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote