View Single Post
Old May 6, 2021, 22:18   #6
Julian
Apprentice

Julian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanusDuo View Post
I am also wanting to compile old versions of Angband. I started playing on Fangband (not FaAngband) back in the 90s and eventually found the official Angband community in the 2.8.x days and played until around when Ben stepped down. I haven't played much since but recently got my first ever laptop and am having a really fun time installing and playing all my old favorite games. While hunting down the old Fangband binary I found rephial.org which did not exist last time I checked up on the community. I did find DOS binaries for all the old PCAngband stuff. I am fascinated that so many features in Fangband did not make it in to the official game until the Ben era (and even then destroying items wasn't implemented until the middle of his tenure)
Variants weren’t really a thing until Ben’s tenure; his code cleanup and exiling of game data to text files made it much, much, easier to make a variant.

Quote:
I tried to compile Angband 2.7.8 for Linux (which is actually Ben Harrison's second stable version to "ship") but I ran into compile errors with this as well.

Code:
 [janusduo@ArchBox src]$ sudo make install
[sudo] password for janusduo:
gcc -O -Dregister= -c io.c
io.c:12:10: fatal error: bsd/sgtty.h: No such file or directory
   12 | #include <bsd/sgtty.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Makefile:151: io.o] Error 1
You may be in luck. IIRC, there were several makefiles and a bunch of compile-time options to deal with the plethora of Unixen. I’m guessing that it’s trying to build for a BSD instead of Linux, and there’s probably a better set of options in the Makefile, and you just need to comment out the ones it’s using and uncomment one of the others.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote