View Single Post
Old May 21, 2014, 23:50   #15
locus
Adept

locus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
@the other obvious weapon:

2 lb deathblades do 1d9 / 6 points, which is slightly better than great spears or shortswords it seems + 1 extra point base damage + better granularity.

@granularity:

I thought less about averages - the differences are after all not equally likely with opposed rolls - and concluded that I am very unlikely above the double critical difference margin against most enemies during the game. There will be double critical hits, but the most likely hits will be slightly less. (After all, I know shortswords work, I have yet to see a plain great spear user.)

@shortswords vs. spears:

There is another relevant difference, say if you have 1 pt. strength instead of 0 or a damage ring or an increased weapon damage, the larger number of critical hits suddenly matters directly for damage.

@0.9 lb shortswords:

I know, still it is relevant to the OP. Every time I contemplate about playing a 0 strength fencer I deplore this change, in fact I may reinstall 1.1.1 to do such a char myself, people who play 1.1.1 should definitely try this out.

The change was made according to mpa-Sil where people had wicked 0.5lb / 1d7 daggers lying all over the place and still did not use them - of course you do not see the utility in 0.9lb shortswords under such circumstances. I am not hardcore enough to go with daggers (1d5 ones) with a non-stealth char in Sil, however. Maybe I try with Nargil or Angrist, if I have a suitable char that finds it early.
The differences are not all equally likely with opposed rolls, but given the wide variety of enemy evasions and the way your own melee will change over the course of the game, a pattern is hard to establish. Uniform distribution was a simplifying assumption.

I think you underestimate how frequently one will beat the target number by 18+. It's technically possible even with a melee score equal to the enemy's evasion, and a fencer build will of course try to have melee well in excess of the enemy's evasion. In particular, many of the really tough enemies you need to do large amounts of damage to have low evasion - it doesn't matter too much how many crits you get against a dragonfly.

Yes, once you start getting masterwork/enchanted/artifact weapons, the math gets worse for the greatspear. Note though to be fair, the greatspear can benefit from up to 3 points of extra strength, while the shortsword can only benefit from 1. The greatspear has a greater total potential to be boosted by strength.

I like the change, making 0.9lbs shortswords always felt gamey to me. A matter of taste, though.

@HM: A 1lbs 2d6 throwing axe is 29 difficulty, and requires artifice.
locus is offline   Reply With Quote