View Single Post
Old July 1, 2018, 22:09   #3
Shaosil
Rookie

Shaosil is on a distinguished road
Status Update

I've made progress since my initial post. At first I thought Angband Variants had been removed from the play store, but it appears some people still see it, so perhaps my Android version was upgraded to a version past what it allowed? For now I'll keep going and plan on releasing it when it's stable enough.

Now for the progress update. Here is a list of the changes I've made from the other app:
  • Upgraded Sil to version 1.3
  • APP BUGFIX: Save games are no longer being corrupted! This was the highest thing to fix on my list. We can't be having saves be corrupted for a game like this. The other app was calling a save function any time the app lost focus, and didn't always detect whether the game was in progress. Sometimes, it would save during the main menu and overwrite the game data. I just improved the in progress logic.
  • APP BUGFIX: The quit button now functions from the main menu.
  • SIL BUGFIX: Playing a game after the tutorial no longer displays a blank message at the top.
  • SIL BUGFIX: Trying to save during the tutorial no longer displays a warning message with -more- cutting out the middle.
  • Added a tab key to the symbols keyboard.
  • Added an options key to the symbols keyboard.
  • The orientation preference now has four options: Sensor (System), Sensor (Forced), Portrait, and Landscape. Sensor (System) will rotate based on the current user rotate system preference, and System (Forced) will rotate based on the sensor, regardless of user preference. The latter was the only sensor setting previously, and it bugged me.
  • The keyboard no longer displays annoying little popup key animations between certain keypresses. I had to hack my way around this one because that animation code is part of Android's functionality for that class.
  • Raised the minimum and target APIs a bit (19 and 26 - KitKat and Oreo). As a result, I had to make sure the newer Android permission system worked and asked the user about permissions when needed.

Basically, it's probably good enough to go ahead and release on the Play store, and I can if the public demands it. However, I do have a Todo list, and I would like to get another 2-3 things done before committing.

Todo List:
  • Use the same font as the one on PC. Android is showing '#' for walls, which I think is ugly compared to the solid block that I see on Windows. This one is a little difficult to track down but I'm close.
  • Add a transparency setting for the keyboard, at least in landscape mode.
  • Fix the slain monsters list - currently doesn't open
  • Thinking about adding a single row sliding keyboard, similar to DCSS.
  • Add a way to open the manual from the app - could be embedded, or a link to the website...
  • Fill entire screen with game view so there is no wasted space in portrait mode.
  • Add way to reuse the exact stats from the last character upon a new play. Everything but the skills save currently, so it's probably not difficult.
  • Add a way to pan the view by dragging. This might be harder than it sounds, since Sil isn't structured to let the view be changed if the player isn't in a look-around mode already. I may not actually get to this.

Last edited by Shaosil; July 1, 2018 at 22:55.
Shaosil is offline   Reply With Quote