View Single Post
Old April 17, 2015, 15:10   #15
Dean Anderson
Adept

Dean Anderson is on a distinguished road
They're not the only differences between the languages, of course; but they're the things that are fiddly to convert.

In terms of preference, it's generally a matter of horses for courses. C# is similar to Java in that its designed around you having a virtual machine in which security and safety are paramount. That's why it has so much more emphasis on casting things properly. You can't just throw around pointers and treat any bit of memory as any type of data. Many of the design choices are based around that, including the use of garbage collection based memory management.

Personally, I prefer C# to C but that's mostly because I've been using C# every day at work for over a decade, and other than Angband I've not used C in that time. So these days I'm far more familiar with the way C# works than the way C works. Plain C certainly has its advantages when it comes to places where you need to be close to the hardware. And it gives you fine detailed control over memory and the like. But those advantages can all to often become disadvantages at times when you don't need that closeness or control - at which point you tend to still need the detail and that can get really fiddly. And for OO code I definitely prefer C# or Java - both languages designed to be OO from the ground up - than C++, which has always struck me as a bit of a kludge.
Dean Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote