View Single Post
Old February 26, 2018, 11:14   #14
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
There is a problem with that. Namely, that melee has a bunch of modifiers that affect its damage - straightforward +damage on gear, +str, +str/+dex which add attacks, extra blows, whatnot. Archery has only 2 - extra shots and might. That is already a bad situation if you compare the artifact list of the plethora of melee weapons with the few possible combinations for launchers. Sofar, a ranger might not necessarily prefer a bow with extra shots. If you give him extra might, he always will.

If, as I believe, your objective is to reduce the relative damage increase, pretty much every other way is preferable to "more extra might" - a straight damage adder, fractional shots, a brand multiplier increase, you name it. Your suggestion would lead to zero variance itemisation.

I think I would add in a 3rd way of increasing damage to archery - not necessarily by adding it to the archer class (only). That would make the possible combinations more interesting and it also would reduce the weight of both the existing modifiers, shots and might. Off weapon straight damage would be the natural choice, but other ways can be conceived.
I've been thinking about this too. I like the idea of accomplished archers (with long/short bows) getting faster shooting speed, but the current implementation is way overpowered. My (and other people's) ideas so far include:
  • Shooting speed tied to DEX
  • Shooting speed tied to shooting skill
  • Shooting speed tied to a specific class power (this already happens)
  • Some sort of shooting speed modifier which works differently for the different launcher types (fast shooting doesn't really make sense for crossbows)
  • Slings able to fire multiple shots, or even arbitrary objects
  • Different shooting profiles for different races

As a first cut, making +1 extra shots actually +1/3 extra shots is maybe worth thinking about.