View Single Post
Old September 21, 2009, 15:51   #2
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deranged Archivist View Post

But in all the twenty or so years I've been playing, never, not even once, have I actually succeeded in winning. Not a single time. (I dabbled with Wizard mode and copying save files at first, but found that it ruined the enjoyment of the game. So technically, once, by cheating, I ascended a Nethack character. Yay me. Still never actually won the game.)

And yet it is obvious that people do beat the game.

I've thought about what it is in my approach that gets my characters killed, and I suspect it is impatience. Impatience spurs me to take risks, dive deeper than is wise, push just a little bit farther, wait a few more turns before making a tactical retreat. You might get lucky and make it out of a bad spot a few times, but not every time.

So I'm trying to adjust my playing style (on those infrequent occasions that I can play at all- now that I have kids, it's not such a regular indulgence anymore), and I think this is the most important factor.

But I want to know what sort of general strategies or approaches you use, beyond that, that might help me.. ah... not die so much.

Sounds like me.
I got hooked with Moria in the Amiga era.
Later I used to play TKAngband on the PC. With both I never won.
I changed to Vanilla and played occasionally for many years without ever winning. I started save game scumming because of frustration about ongoing deaths. ^^ (Just wanted to reach level 99 for once. )

Then I got bored with cheating and tried again without. With each promising character I went to the newsgroups and later on the forums and browsed for helpful hints about gear and tactics.
Finally I got my first winner and another and ...

Every time I loose a promising character it is usually because of impatience or over selfconfidence. But I have learned which monsters are to avoid or at least knowing whether I am prepared properly or not.

I also have learned whether a greater vault is worth a risk or not. It pays to have a look at the spoiler files if you are not sure about a certain monster. It pays also to know about the maximum damage of certain attacks and the effect of resistances.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote