View Single Post
Old October 12, 2017, 18:49   #9
Holy_Rage
Scout

Holy_Rage is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for your feedback. This is meant to be a work in progress by someone who is slowly making their way down the depths of Angband for the first time and is chronicling their findings. My conclusions could be utterly wrong for all I know and that is very much a possibility. But it's fun discovering things and balancing priorities when you simply don't know a pip about what's going on around you.

Otherwise, the advice sounds great. Anyway, on to the next bullet set:

10) Speed - Damage - HPs = the holy triumvirate of Angband. It's better to kill fast than enter bouts of endurance. They only need to win once, you can't afford a single defeat.
11) Use Detection as much as possible and try going where treasure shows, not clear every single level room.
12) Detection - Telepathy - Clairvoyance = for the discerningly cautious player. Sense Evil and Detection afterwards at regular intervals. There is a certain helm artifact that allows you to Detect without being a spellcaster. For the poorer fellow newbie, Rods of Treasure Detection and Mushrooms of Second Sight.
13) Do not ignore or underestimate {A}ctivated abilities. They will save you more than once. Detection, lighting rooms and corridors, breath weapons, powerful bolt and ball attacks.
14) Establishing Line of Sight can be a blessing and a cause of utter doom at the same time. Make sure that the creature facing you is not a caster or has breath/ranged abilities. If so, when in doubt, seek to break LoS at all costs.
15) There are things out there that will kill you in one or two rounds. Max.
16) There is no need to burn all your resources on a tough Unique, when you could be clearing entire vaults in a cheaper and safer way.
17) My house, my castle, my pantry. Stocking the right stuff as you find them is apparently crucial. Sources of Banishment, *Destruction*, *Healing* are clearly a must for the discerning hoarder.
18) If playing a caster, keep two copies of each spellbook on your @. The weight is well worth finding yourself without the tools of your trade.
19) Save often when playing online. Pray all the time (applies to both online and offline mode!)

At CL 36/DL 49 now! See you soon for the next bullet set (hopefully!)

Ladder Link
Holy_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote